The LINDY group can trace its origins all the way back to a small apartment in the town of Breslau, Germany in 1832. It was here that the company founder, Kurt Lindenberg (hence LINDY) set up a small family business selling petrol lamps and early electrical appliances.
The business was shut down during the war but restarted again in 1947 when the Lindenberg family moved to Mannheim, where LINDY Germany is still based today.
In 1949, Kurt's son, Klaus joined the company. Under his leadership, the focus was increasingly on industrial electrical and electronic products. Distribution was expanded to cover the whole of Germany. Best sellers were cable laying equipment and power tools.
During the 1950s, the demand for radios and televisions was huge. The company's product range expanded to meet this demand with the introduction of the popular KUBA radio and TV furniture.
The electronic age...
In the 1960s a range of electronic kits from the Danish manufacturer, Josty, was introduced. These kits became incredibly successful, allowing hobbyists to assemble their own radios, amplifiers and disco lights.
By the 1970s the product range had shifted almost completely towards electronic components and equipment. In 1974 the LINDY logo was created to coincide with the introduction of a range of games, kits and toys made by the Japanese company, Gakken. Alongside these, the LINDY Electronic Station was designed in-house.
In the 1980s a 3rd generation of Lindenberg's joined the company, Klaus's sons Juergen and Peter. Jürgen initiated a period of international expansion for LINDY with branches opening throughout Europe.
Meanwhile in the UK...
...an old friend of Klaus Lindenberg, Gerry Casey who, as well as being the UK agent for Josty, also ran his own company manufacturing audio and TV cables. In the UK the boom in home computer sales started earlier than on the continent so Gerry started to produce computer cables too. Despite doubts about their potential from his German colleagues, Gerry convinced Klaus to test demand at a trade fair. In a hidden corner of the stand twelve different computer cables were displayed. The success was overwhelming. All the buyers from the big department stores and supermarkets ordered enormous quantities.
LINDY UK is formed
In 1987 LINDY UK was formed by Gerry Casey and Klaus Lindenberg, based in the Thornaby-on-Tees in the North East of England where we still remain today.
In 1992, Gerry's son, Darren joined the Marketing Department of LINDY UK, and in 1995 he became Managing Director. An exciting period of growth followed which led, in 2001, to LINDY UK moving into a new multi-million pound building with extensive modern office and warehouse facilities.
The 1990s and 2000s saw further expansion with the opening of a new warehouse in China as well as new facilities in the US, Australia, Taiwan and Japan. Continued growth in Europe meant the construction of a huge new warehouse in Germany to service customers on the continent.
From our humble beginnings in 1932 we've grown into a multinational group of independent companies, all working together to maintain the LINDY brand name. Our product range now encompasses everything from the simplest USB cables to the latest in advanced KVM switches, digital video extenders, networking and multimedia products.
To this day we still continue the traditions of product quality, innovation and value for money initiated by Kurt Lindenberg all those years ago in his apartment in Breslau!